Monday 17 October 2011

And Another Thing.

I know I already talked about teeth and all that, but its been a long and entertaining day. Here are some of my favourite occurrences:
  1. When I got in the car to drive to work this morning at the fresh faced hour of 7.15am, the radio came on and I can't remember whether it was NRG or the interestingly named 'blackbox', Bordeaux's hip-hop radio station, but some DJ out there had chosen that precise moment to play Blue - All Rise and Monsieur le DJ I think I have you to thank for waking me up and reminding me to drive on the right in between making some stellar (albeit seatbelt-restrained) shapes.
  2. During a lesson on Halloween, in which I had stuck flashcards of various Halloween characters - a witch, a skeleton, a monster, etc etc - on the board, I whipped out some flashcards of other Halloween related items and asked the children to tell me who each item belonged to. The pitchfork went to the devil, the sarcophagus to the mummy, and finally I held up a picture of a broomstick. There was by this point quite a lot of raucous behaviour going on since I'd divided the class in half and made it into a race - if you don't have any sugar to hand this is a surefire way to make an 8 year old go mental - and so, in order to make himself heard, one overenthusiastic individual shouted over the chaos "GIVE [it to] THE BITCH!!' Perfect. Perfect.
  3. Driving in stationary traffic along the rocade, the M25's less well organised cousin, I heard a siren behind me. The French drivers of Bordeaux, not renowned for their empathy or their driving skills, clearly had no interest in helping this mysterious emergency vehicle in reaching its destination, but with a lot of revving and huffing (and undoubtedly a good few 'putains'), we all managed to clear a path down the middle of the two lanes for it to use. Imagine my surprise when rather than a nice shiny ambulance or police car, along zoomed a car which could only be described as 'a banger' with an apparently magnetic flashing light clinging perilously to the roof above the driver's head and blaring at full volume a siren which may or may not have been coming from what I can only assume was a cassette deck. Either Starsky and Hutch have some Gallic counterparts who were on their way to save the day or, as I am inclined to believe, one frustrated commuter had reached out to eBay after a particularly long day. Whichever was the case, it was très amusant. 

1 comment: