Monday 20 February 2012

Vacances.

During February, the weather in France isn't quite so cold as it was in January, meaning that your average French woman with the thermoregulation of a desert lizard (the cries of "Ah merde! Ce froid est insupportable!" having echoed loud and clear around both of my schools ever since we returned after Christmas) is able to leave her house without fear of the instant death that I am assured would have befallen her had she attempted the same a few weeks ago. After the bitter turmoil of a three week long winter, the sun has emerged bright as ever, and the only reminder of that dark and difficult time is a good 3 metres of snow, powdery atop the Alps and the Pyrenees. Naturally, and who can argue with them, the people of France long ago decided that going to school during such excellent meteorological conditions, when their time could be better put to use slaloming through the trees and eating tartiflette in wooden cabins decorated with cowbells, would frankly be churlish and, I would imagine, insupportable.  The long and short of it is that we are all on a two week holiday again, and who am I to complain. 
On Wednesday I'm embarking on a trip to Rome, Milan and Prague which I'm sure is going to be fabulous, and in the mean time, I've come home for some rest and relaxation, because these 12-hour weeks are really quite a strain. My mum is almost certainly going to have to check my suitcase when I leave for any kittens I may or may not attempt to kidnap. 




No comments:

Post a Comment